I’m working on getting my Podcast Feed through iTunes, so that iTunes users can subscribe directly.
In the mean time, to subscribe to just the Sermon Podcast, use the feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/pastorbecca (cut and paste this link into your feed reader for the text, or into iTunes in Advanced -> Subscribe to a Podcast, I think. That’s a big I think).
To view the list of sermons archived on WordPress, click the link on the top left, or here (clicking the title of any post will bring you to the main post, and then clicking the link will play the sermon). There are also favorite sermons tagged here.
This page is a work in progress, and I hope to have a more user-friendly interface soon!
How did I do this so far?
Notes on what I think are the steps to podcasting:
I am the least technologically savvy blogger nerd I know. But I am in the midst of trying to podcast, so here’s what I know so far.
I used this site (it has some technical problems): http://www.how-to-podcast-tutorial.com/ and the Apple site, which is a little (okay a lot) over my head: http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/podcaststechspecs.html
1. Record your sermons. We do this with a CD burner that is part of our church’s sound system, but another pastor I know has an mp3 player/recorder that her son plugs into the sound board and records the sermon directly to mp3. Better quality.
2. If it isn’t already, save the sermon as an mp3, preferably at 64 kb. For CD users like me, that means ripping the CD with CDex or the equivalent.
3. Name your podcasts with the same name, and then either date or episode number. I do something like PastorBecca2008-06-15. Using iTunes or equivalent software, enter the artist info and such, so that others will know you made it.
4. Upload the sermon to a server. I’m trying to use ourmedia.org, but this is where it gets a bit hairy for me. I’m told you can do it directly through WordPress if you have the space upgrade.
5. post the podcast episode as an entry in your blog with the link to the file on the server. make a new category (podcast or sermon) for use only for the podcast.
6. create a feed url. mine is http://pastorbecca.wordpress.com/category/podcasts/feed.
7. Create cover art at least 600×600 pixels. Upload it to a server and get a permalink to it.
8. Create an account at feedburner.com. Burn the aforementioned feed url.
9. Add iTunes-friendly details to optimize the viewing experience.This included your picture’s permalink url.
10. Paste your feedburner feed url into iTunes -> Advanced -> Subscribe to a Podcast to test the link. If it works, submit your feedburner feed to iTunes and wait for them to verify that you have a good podcast, which they may eventually put in their store and make searchable.